Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Saturday 2 December 2006

The Pond

The first thing I did in the garden after moving in was buy some fish for the pond. Very quickly I realised that the fish were hot and scared because there was no protection over the pond. The water was a bit hot because the sun could shine on it and there were very few places to hide from people or birds. So off I went to look for water plants. I heard about a nursery, that focussed on water plants and off I trundled. In the end I brought a plant with tall leaves that stick out of the water and a discounted water lily because they didn't know what colour the flowers would be. The one with the tall leaves is still going strong, but the lily never flowered and didn't survive the first year.

No comments: