Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Sunday 16 August 2009

Saturday's Paper

I have decided to create a weekly post to record what I have ripped out of the paper each week, rather than keeping the pieces of paper.

This week I read an article in the Canberra times about illustrators of children's books and some new books for young children. The four books they reviewed were

Anthony browne's "Little beauty"
I love Anthony browne's books and I was pleased that we could book this one out from the library straight away. So I have reversed it and hopefully it will be waiting for us at the local library soon.


Margret Wild's "Piglet and Granny" illustrated by Stephen king.
This wasn't available at the libary, but another one of the same series called "Piglet and Mama" was available so I have reserved that book.



Clem always could! I hadn't heard of Sarah Watt before, but apparently she has worked on animated films and is the wife of William McInnes. This wasn't available at the library, but I will keep my eye opened for it, because the story sounds good and the illustrations appear to look stunning.

My Silent World by Nette Hilton and Vincent Agostino
This books sounds really interesting, I love the idea of using pictures books to expose my daughter to different people and different lives.



Also in the Canberra times I found two websites of interest

Green Garbage Project From their site it states
For one year, from July 6, 2009 to July 6, 2010, we aim to live without producing garbage that winds up in a landfill. You can find all the details about our challenge on this site, so check back often to see how we’re doing.
MetaFilter
Apparently this is a site that daily lists 10 things on the web that are worth "having a look at". Not sure if it is for me, but I'll check it out at sometime.

Finally - also from the canberra times an article on this book
I heard Roger McDonald speaking on the radio and the book sounds wonderful. Full of extraordinary photos of Australian landscape from across the last 100 years. I love the idea that many of the photos were taken for different purposes, from how they are seen today. McDonlad also discussed how all but one of the photos don't have any people in them, but there would always be one person standing behind the camera. An interesting thought, but how we view landscape photos.




So that is all I have so far from the Saturday papers, but then again I haven't read all of them, that will take me all week.

No comments: