Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Thursday 10 December 2009

13 for thursday - Garden

  I decided today to take a walk and take some photos of what is growing in the garden at the moment.


1.   Lots and lots of tomato plants.
2 Green Zebras. I chose these because they are meant to be low acid which will be good for Saana.
2 Tigerellas. I chose these because the look so pretty and I suspect they are also lower in acid.
1 Amish ox-heart. I had two of these but I gave one to mum.  I kind of wish I had brought another one.
Lots of bush tomatoes in the back bed.
4 Tumbling cherry tomatoes in hanging pots and one in the ground.   I transfered the one in the ground because it wasn't doing well and I needed the pot for the next tomatos.   I think I brought 3 red and 2 yellow, but I'm not sure.
2 Siberian cherry tomatoes. These are meant to be good for hanging pots and the cold climate.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they go.







2. Lots of corn
2 different types of sweet corn 
2 punnets of baby corn These are a lovely red colour on the stems
Under the seedlings I put the seeds of
3 different types of beans
cucumber
Balinese sweetcorn
Yellow Empress sunflowers





3.  Fruit


               My New Passionfruit                Strawberries                                               Rhubarb





4.  Herbs 
basil,  coriander,  dill, chervil,   2 types of thyme,  lemon balm, lemon grass, sage, rosemary, marjoram,  oregano, chinese salad leaves, curry plant, garlic and normal chives,  mint









    5.  Carrots and beetroot.  
      I also planted parsnips but they didn't come up. 




    6.  Capsicums and Chilies
    Normal capsicums
    Banana capsicums
    Jalapenos
    Cayenne pepper
    Haberno
    Some of these are from punnets and some are from larger seedings which we put into paper bags and wrapped in paper for a few weeks before planting out.


    7. Beans
    normal blue lake climbing beans
    dwarf beans - butter
    Purple King - climbing beans These look so pretty already, you can see them at the back




    8. Eggplants
    A normal eggplant ( I think, I lost the tag)
    Listada di Gandia This is a diggers eggplant, it is stripy.






    9.  Lots of lettuce



    10. Silverbeet

    11. Alliums
    Leeks
    spring onions
    red onions
    garlic
                    12. Self Sown
                    Peas 
                    cucumber or squash
                    13. Grapevine

                  4 comments:

                  Hootin Anni said...

                  Must be nice...you having Summer and all!---while we here in the States are freezing our butts off. LOL Have a tomato for me willya?

                  My Thirteen is now posted...Find 'em HERE

                  Anonymous said...

                  Makes me want summer here so much quicker. We are getting lots of snow where I am. Enjoy your veggies, they taste so much better when you know where they came from.

                  Unknown said...

                  So nice to have fresh produce from the garden. I envy you as I look outside at it snowing.
                  Happy Holidays!

                  storyteller said...

                  Lovely ;-)
                  I wish I had more room to grow more of my own produce but my yard is small. I do have two citrus trees, a few strawberry plants and lovely roses ;-)
                  Hugs and blessings,