Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Sunday 20 May 2007

Rhubarb


One of my favourite foods has always been rhubarb. Last year I decided I needed to grow some. It has been struggling in pots, while I decide how I'm going to set up my perennial food garden beds. But yesterday I was amazed by the large leafs and the colour in the sunlight.

7 comments:

Bells said...

Sal that's beautiful1!!

I never thought of a perennial food bed but it actually makes a lot of sense. Are you going to grow asparagus? What else?

Sally said...

My plans are asparagus, artichokes, raspberries, and maybe something like a logan berry. And rhubarb of course.

Ladynred said...

Beautiful Rhubarb! great for pie!

Alanna Kellogg said...

I put in my first plants last summer - including little bits of pieces from my Mom's original beds that my Dad's been trying to kill off with Round-up (a plant-killer spray) for about 15 years. Now they thrive in my garden though a few years from a pie, for sure. Good luck with yours!

Sally said...

OK - I was totally discombobulated (is that how you spell that?) this morning when I saw your comment on my post. I thought "I don't remember writing that!" Then I remembered! lOL This could possibly be very confusing! Anyway - you're going to love your rhubarb patch. It's something to look forward to in the early spring. I've got a great rhubarb bread pudding recipe if you want it.

Sally said...

Sally, I would love that Rhubarb recipe. As Nigella Lawson says, you can never have too many rhubarb recipes.

Anonymous said...

I like the picture of the rhubarb. I love back lit photos. My girlfriend has a great recipe for Rhubarb berry pie on her blog simplyrecipes.com. Check it out.