Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Wednesday 24 January 2007

Awhile ago Carol over at May Dreams Gardens made this post about plants that you planted and are now not part of your garden. This has encouraged me to go back to my photo journal about the pond garden to see what I planted that has survived and see if I can work out why.
The first one that jumped out at me was "the blob"(scientifically known as scleranthus uniflorus), this is a plant that has been in every family garden since I was a kid. I decided to plant one, but it died fairly quickly. I planted another one, but it died too. Thus I have given up. I still don't know why it didn't grow, but the back of the tag says "plant in very well dreained, gritty soil." and I now I'm wondering if it got too much water. I might try again in the new native garden.



The other plant that has "disappeared" is a Pratia Puberula - Alpine Pratia. The back of the label says "thrives in moist to wet soil". I can't decide if this died because the dogs walked on it to get to the lemongrass which they love eating, or wether I didn't get the water right. I don't think I'll try this again.

No comments: