Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Friday 12 January 2007

Growing Food

Last spring I decided it was time to expand my vegetable and fruit garden. The previous summer I had grown tomatos in a bath and I wanted to grow more vegetables in more baths. The trouble was moving the baths around the yard, so my Dad designed axles and wheels so that the baths can be moved like a wheelbarrow, he even made me handles. The photos below are of my dad attaching the axles to the baths I got from revolve (our recyling depot) and yes my wonderful dad drove four hours with a trailer to pick up the baths from revolve and bring them home.


I then made gardens in the baths using the no dig method, and planted them out with tomatoes, lettuce, asian veggies, peas, beans and spinach. Later on I added corn, beans, more lettuce and carrots. I also planted seed beet-root, but it didn't grow.
Then I brought from revolve, those clam shell kids pools, in those I planted potatoes, watermelon, zucchini and cucumber. In a dogs bed I planted golden nugget pumpkin. I also planted chillies and capsicum in pots.
Here is a photo of the garden I took around christmas
I love looking out on this from my kitchen window over the sink.

4 comments:

Bells said...

I can so see why you love looking out your kitchen window Jess. that's just beautiful! I love the bath idea. Your dad is very innovative!

Sally said...

My dad is wonderful. You give him a problem and a few weeks later he comes back with the best solution you can think of. He takes awhile to develop it, but you need never think about it again once he has the solution.

melissa said...

you have managed a great garden in those tubs ..hats off to you .!
my history with container gardening is very hit and miss .
Its handy having a ideas man to talk to .
I was initially wary about diggers ..firstly cause you had to pay then buy as well.
So far I have been happy with the free seeds offered and the bulbs I've ordered ( esp when I got a double order and they said keep it !!!)
I"ve so far found the seeds reliable germinating and the plants are so far very healthy .I'n about to out inthat expensive order ..I think That will be the test ...how the live plants come in April ..........
sweetpea

Carol said...

Fabulous Jess. It's going to be such a haven but I guess it's always a work in progress huh?