Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Wednesday 31 January 2007

Garden Update

I was just checking the lemon tree and it looks like its finally given up on trying to reproduce. For the first time since I planted it last autumn it has put out new leaves, instead of flowers. Must make sure I give it a good fertilize this weekend. The tomatoes could also do with a fertilize. The rosemary in the lemon tree pot needs to be cut back. I think this weekend I will cut it right back, some I I will use in a roast, I might freeze a heap and try and strike cuttings from the rest. With me luck with that.

Everything else in the garden is going well, I went for a walk this morning while I watered. Both the normal mint and Vietnamese mint and going overboard, in particular the Vietnamese mint, it needs cutting back too. I suppose I could freeze it too. There are more flowers on the cucumber, and one cucumber ready to eat, must make a Greek salad tonight to go with the quiche. The corn is still growing, but a worry that it is not getting enough water, but there is not much I can do about that. There are lots of watermelons in the watermelon patch. Basil is finally taking off, after the second batch I planted; don’t know what I did wrong. The tomatoes in the bath and doing better than the pots, but the hanging cherry tomatoes, near the back door are also doing really well. It is everyone’s habit to pick one or too as they walk past and have a little snack. Spinach to be eaten might have spinach pasta later this week.

I have just realised that because tomorrow is the 1st after today was the 31st we get two watering days in a row, so I think I will try and fertilize tomorrow morning after they have all had a good drink today.

The camomile in the herb garden has had beautiful flowers for weeks now and are just starting to die off, but the feverfew has come into flower with similar shaped and coloured flowers, the flowers are just a bit bigger.

I picked a heap of cherry tomatoes for breakfast, but realised I don’t have bread for toast, I think there are dried biscuits so I might use those. I love having fresh produce for our meals, I’m really beginning to understand the concepts of eating what is in season.

1 comment:

Bells said...

get your hubby to pee on the lemon tree Sal!


Everything else sounds like it's doing really well. Aren't the home grown cherry tomatoes the sweetest things? I almost can't keep up with mine!