Why Jess's Garden


As I think about it now, I chose the name because I garden to create a space that I want to share with my family.
This blog has now evovled to be a discussion about how I'm attempting to create a personal and physical home for my family.
Creating a garden is a key part of that process, but it is not the only part, so I feel the different parts of this blog are all congruent to the same goal.

Friday 5 January 2007

Expanding the pond garden

It has been a long while since I updated this blog. I want to get the older information out of the way so I can start talking more about what I'm doing now. Awhile after finishing the first half of the pond garden I realised I wanted to expand it so the whole corner was turned into garden. Using the end patio post and the corner of the brick work to create a line to finish the garden.
The layout
Both myself and my mother were using the grass as a pathway between her house and mine, so I knew when I made the garden I wanted to put in a path. I decided to use cheaper square pavers. We lay news paper on the ground and then covered it with sand. DH helped lay all the pavers and we were both very proud to make a curved path with very little wobbling. Dh used a leftover paver to make a step at the end of the path. I used a large rectangular pot and a platic square one with bulbs already planted to create the boundary and then lay compost and potting mix to create a planting medium. The camomile I had planted earlier was the start of the new garden.
Plants
To be honest it is so long ago I can't remember what I planted originally, but I know the savory plant, some beet-root which are now replaced with lettuce. In the big rectangle pot which created the boundary of the garden I put mint and parsley. Later on I found out that they shouldn't be planted together so I put the mint in a seperate pot and they have both been happier since. The last spring I add italian parsley lemon balm in a pot. And in the garden I added more parsley and Marjoram.
Photos
This shows the garden when I first planted it, looking down the new path.

Next shows the garden now from a similar angle.

This shows the garden looking up the path at the time of planting

Same angle taken recently

2 comments:

LinkyLou said...

I love your little path! So cute! Your garden seems to be growing at a great rate - and so green too :)

Bells said...

Jess it's looking fantastic! Great job!